Civil engineers are in the forefront providing constructive counsel on matters vital to mankind and the environment. Civil engineers are primarily responsible for planning, designing, and constructing all the world's constructed facilities. Most people can only talk about solving traffic congestion, environmental pollution, droughts, and floods. Civil engineers help to eliminate or greatly reduce the destructive effects of these events.
Accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, the curriculum in civil engineering is designed to produce graduates who have the background necessary for the practice of civil engineering and the capacity for further development of mind and character to assume the highest responsibilities of citizenship and of professional engineering.
The up-to-date curriculum provides the fundamentals of engineering and teaches the application of those fundamentals in engineering analysis and design. It also helps the student acquire the ability to communicate, to develop a personal value system, and to have a sense of social responsibility and concern for the needs and welfare of mankind and the environment. Well-equipped laboratories for environmental engineering, hydraulics, materials testing, soil mechanics, structural testing, surveying, and transportation enhance the classroom lectures.
The student will gain some competence in all of the following areas with emphasis on at least one: structural design, environmental engineering, hydraulics, hydrology, surveying, transportation, soil mechanics, highways, and materials.
Civil Engineering Program Educational Objectives
Within 4 to 6 years of graduation, Civil Engineering graduates from Louisiana Tech University are expected to have:
- Engaged in professional practices, such as construction, environmental, geotechnical, structural, transportation, or water resources engineering by using technical communication and management skills.
- Overseen the design and/or construction of a civil engineering project.
- Demonstrated a commitment to continuing professional development by pursuing formal education in an advanced degree or by maintaining technical currency through documented CPD activities.
- Served in a leadership position in any professional or community organization, or local/state engineering board.
- The Civil Engineering Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org. Graduates of this program are encouraged to become registered professional engineers.
ProgramsBachelor Degree Programs