Mar 21, 2018
Accounting Curriculum (BS)
- Provide students with the knowledge and tools needed to obtain meaningful employment and have successful careers.
- Prepare students for graduate school.
- Provide the educational background for students to meet the educational requirements of various professional accounting certification examinations.
Accounting undergraduates will:
- Have basic knowledge of key concepts in major business disciplines.
- Have in-depth knowledge of accounting.
- Be able to apply accounting principles to solve problems.
- Be aware of ethical issues in the discipline.
- Be effective communicators.
- Be proficient with technology related to the accounting discipline.
A grade of "C" or better must be earned in all accounting courses. Students may not enroll in higher level accounting courses until this minimum in previous courses has been met. Students enrolling in the accounting program will normally be allowed to schedule a maximum of two accounting courses simultaneously in a single quarter.
Transfer students electing this curriculum will be required to take at least 15 semester hours in accounting courses numbered 300 and above, of which at least 6 hours must be at the 400-level, at Louisiana Tech. Any student currently enrolled in the accounting program may not transfer an accounting course from another institution without the approval of the director.
- COMM 101: Principles of Communication Studies 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Select two Humanities (GER) courses from the following disciplines: Literature, Foreign Languages, History, Classical Studies, Communications, Philosophy, Religious Studies, or Interdisciplinary. NOTE: some of these subject matter disciplines may not be offered at Louisiana Tech University. 6 Semester Credit Hours
Natural Sciences (GER)
- Select one Life Science course from the following disciplines: Animal Science, Biology, Biochemistry, Botany, Environmental Science, Plant Science, or Zoology. NOTE: some of these subject matter disciplines may not be offered at Louisiana Tech University. 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Select one Physical Science course from the following disciplines: Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Astronomy, or Meteorology. NOTE: some of these subject matter disciplines may not be offered at Louisiana Tech University. 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Select one additional course from either Physical or Life Science to complete the Natural Sciences (GER) requirement. 3 Semester Credit Hours
Social/Behavioral Sciences (GER)
- Electives 6 Semester Credit Hours
Total: 30 SCH
Students are reminded of their obligation to obtain program information and advice on meeting all program requirements from the director's office.
Note: CPA requirements
Eligibility to apply for a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license in Louisiana requires 150 hours of college education including a baccalaureate or higher degree, with specific requirements in accounting and business law. These requirements may be viewed at http://cpaboard.state.la.us/becoming-a-cpa/. Specific requirements vary by state and students expecting to practice in another state should consult that State's Board of Certified Public Accountants.
Advanced Professional Curriculum
- Electives 2 Semester Credit Hours
- Electives 3 Semester Credit Hours
Total Semester Hours 120
*Business Electives are chosen by the student in consultation with the faculty advisor and must be a 300- or 400-level business course. Students must meet established GPA requirements and submit an admission application with Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores to be considered for admission to the graduate phase.
**(IER): International Education Requirement: ACCT 485 , ECON 485 , FINC 485 , MGMT 485 , or MKTG 485 .