The program prepares the graduate for the responsibilities of managing and supervising all of the activities related to converting the plans and specifications prepared by engineers and architects into finished facilities. With increasing demand for economical service and continuous quality improvement, the construction industry continues to improve its technology as well as its management efficiency.
The program provides technical and managerial education in that field of construction most closely aligned with engineering, with a particular emphasis on highway, heavy, and underground construction. It is in many ways similar to civil engineering but has the following major differences:
- Emphasis is on practical application of engineering science rather than upon the comprehensive understanding of the scientific theories.
- Considerable time is devoted to management and business administration courses.
- Less time is devoted to mathematics and the sciences.
Graduates of this program are qualified to fill many professional positions in governmental agencies, industrial concerns, manufacturing companies of construction supplies and equipment, and in construction firms. These jobs may involve contract supervision, intermediate managerial responsibilities, inspection or sales, as well as the supervised design of construction projects. The undergraduate business and management training prepares graduates to move up the executive ladder to success.
The Construction Engineering Technology Program is accredited by the Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
Construction Engineering Technology Program Educational Objectives
Graduates of the Construction Engineering Technology Program are expected within a few years of graduation to:
- Be employed in the heavy and highway construction, underground utility, and building structural frame segments of the construction industry and will successfully apply construction principles to their chosen fields.
- Be advancing in their careers based on strengths in construction technical knowledge, communication skills, awareness of professional, ethical and societal responsibilities, and a dedication to life-long learning.
CIP Code = 151001